Archangelos Michael Church
Situated in the middle of the village, Archangel Michael is a single-aisle shrinkage crisscross church with a dome. According to its morphological elements and the frescoes of Archangel Gabriel on the north arch which is supporting the dome, the church is dated way back in the 12th century. In the west there is a semi circle arch that was later was extended to build the split (narthex) and the vaulted propylon. All the church additions are dated in the Frankish period because as it can be also seen on the inauguration stone on the north wall the church was used as a Catholic church. In 1873 a new entrance was opened on the north wall along with new openings on the propylon.
The walls were built of curved sandy stone (porolithos) filled up with lime mud. The dome and the roof are without tiles and both sides are finished with lime mud (kurasanit). The whole masonry is very nice and it is believed that the church was built by stone builders’ specialists.
The new church of Archangel Michael was built in 1969 with the capacity of accommodating between 200 and 250 believers.
Furthermore, in the new church of Archangel Michael, there is an icon dedicated to the Virgin Mary of Saydanaya, Byzantine in art, which dates from the 14th century. This icon is known in Cyprus as "Panagia (Virgin Mary) of Hunting". The existence of this icon in Cyprus indicates that the Virgin Mary of Saydanaya in Syria was once famous on the island, which means that in the past many Cypriot pilgrims would have had traveled to the well known not only to Christians but also Muslims Monastery of the Virgin Mary of Saydanaya in Syria.
At the bottom end of this huge icon in Frenaros, three persons are depicted who are the donors and they probably ordered the icon after some miracle was made to them by the Virgin Mary of Saydanay during a pilgrimage to the monastery in Syria.
Fotis Pittas Statue and Museum
Fotis Pittas memorial was commissioned by the Cypriot Organization of Greek Teachers (ΠΟΕΔ/ POED) and the Frenaros Community and it was unveiling on February 26, 1961. The memorial is located in the center of the village and the small museum that exhibits some of the personal belongings of the hero such as clothes, letters and teaching instruments is located at the heroes family home.
This memorial is dedicated to the EOKA Hero and Guerrilla Fighter Fotis Pitta who fought along with other Greek Cypriots during the liberation struggle against the British colonists. Fotis Pitta was born in the village of Frenaros, Famagusta District, on February 28, 1935 and was the third of six children of Stavros and Maria Pitta.
Even thought his dream to study at the Evelpidon Military Academy did not come true due to some mistake on his birth certificate (very common at that time) he managed to graduate from the Morphou Teaching College (1953-1955) and thereafter to be appointed as a primary school teacher at the Achna village in the Famagusta District. Fotis joined the liberation struggle of the National Organization of Cypriot Fighters (EOKA) while still an undergraduate student at the Morphou Teaching College. With the beginning of the guerilla war on the 1st Day of April 1955 Fotis was found leading the guerilla teams in Achna area where he was teaching as well. On October 18, 1956 Fotis has be betrayed to the British military authorities and as a fugitive he has been forced to give up teaching and continue his brave struggle. On January 10, 1957 Fotis was arrested in the Vatyli Village in Famagusta District and thereafter led to Kokkinotrimithia and Pyla detention facilities. Fotis managed to escape together with another three inmates, Andreas Karyos, Christakis Tryfonides and Frixos Demetriades.
On July 17 1958 he visited for last time his family and on August 30, 1958 he was found in Liopetri with his fellow fighters Andreas Karyos, Christos Samara and Elias Papakyriakou to give one of the most epic battles of EOKA. After three days of continues unsuccessful attempts the British military forces managed to surround the Barn that the four Heroes were hiding and repeatedly asked the to surrender. The four heroes refused to surrender and the British forces attempted to set the barn on fire in order to force the four heroes to come out. The end was written with the four heroes exiting the barn and falling heroically. Fotis funeral took place the next day in his community in Frenaros.
Agios Andronikos Church
Agios Andronikos Church is a very small chapel (5.51m. X 3.65m.) situated approximately three kilometers to the east of the village.
This 12th century church is shrinkage crisscross type with a dome. The walls of the church were built with coarse and curved sandy stone pieces (porolithos). The masonry is so good that it gives elegance to the church. The dome's light structure and its four small windows it gives the sense of rising to the heaven. The remains of the frescoes indicate the fact that all the walls were covered with frescoes. In the cup of the dome you could find the Ascension of Christ instead of the Christ Pantokrator you usually find in Cyprus churches. On the arch was the Virgin. Even though you can only see the ruins, the rectangular narthex on the west was build very later.
Panagia Asprovouniotissa Church
This single-aisled and barrel-vaulted church is situated approximately five kilometers southwest from Frenaros village. The church's barrel vault is supported by two arches that are resting on braces. The covered area of the church is 17.5 times 6.3 meters with the corners of the walls being built with curved rectangular stones and the rest of the walls being built with stones selected from the surrounding area. The barrel-vault above the narthex is taller which means that the narthex was built later.
In the church there are still remains of wall paintings. On the west wall there is a Crucifixion similar to that of Saint Andronikos Church. On the south wall we can recognize the Dormition of the Virgin Mary and on the narthex's east wall we can see Saint Paraskevi.
According to its morphological elements and its frescoes the church is dated either back on the late 15th or early 16th century.
1974 War Dead and Missing People Memorial
In honor of those killed and missing since the Turkish invasion in 1974, the community of Frenaros erected the 1974 War Dead and Missing People Memorial which is located next to the Community Hall. The memorial is dedicated to the Brave Men of Frenaros who either were killed or still missing since the Turkish invasion in 1974.
Brave Men of Frenaros
- Demetris Vraka
- Kyriakos Kamilaris
- Loukas Tsolakis
- Yiannakis Tziovanis
- Nikos Ttofis
The village of Frenaros, due to its fertile soil, is particularly famous for the cultivation of watermelons. More specifically Frenaros village is one of the most important quality producers of watermelons in Cyprus. Therefore, if you ever visit the village during the summer months do not forget to taste the local production of refreshing watermelons and of course the well known watermelon sweets and ice cream from a local shop. Of course the best time to visit the village is July where the nationwide Watermelon Festival is taking place. Watermelon visitors get the chance to taste plenty of fresh watermelons, watermelon ice cream, watermelon cocktails, local food and of course to get in touch with locals. This is an event not to be missed.
Cyprus Traditional Cheese Halloumi
Even though many communities produce the well known traditional Cyprus Cheese "Halloumi", Frenaros “Halloumi Cheese” is distinguished for its yellowish color, rich butter aromas and exceptional taste. Frenaros traditional “Halloumi Cheese” is mostly made of sheep milk. Even nowadays plenty of families in the community continue the tradition of “Halloumi” making along with the well know byproduct cottage cheese called "Anari". The production of “Halloumi” begins by heating the milk in a traditional cooper pot called “Chartzin” and simultaneously adding the coagulant enzyme called “pithkia” which helps the milk to congeal. Once the milk congeals it is placed and pressed in a special wicker basket called “Talari” in order to remove the liquids called “noros”. Thereafter, it is cut into smaller pieces of approximately 250 grams each and cooked into the liquid byproduct “noros”. The “Halloumi” is finally cooked until it flows on the surface of “noros” and get the yellowish color which is one of its characteristics that distinguishes it from “Halloumi” Cheese made in other regions. Once cooked it is then lightly coated with sea salt and mint. “Noros” is finally reheated at high temperature to get the equally well-known cheese call “Anari”. Contrary to “Halloumi”, Anari is a very light white cheese.
Halloumi as one of the most delicious traditional products of Cyprus that can be eaten fresh, fried and grilled. It is very delicious on pastas and finally if you ever visit Frenaros during the summer season do not forget to try it fresh with watermelon.
Frenaros has long being famous for the production of high quality potatoes. The fertile red soil of the area is particularly helpful for the growth of potatoes. Potatoes are grown in two seasons. The spring which is the main crop is planted between December and February and harvested from April until early June.